Step by Step for Setting up Your Blog
After selecting your domain and setting up your hosting, it is now time to create your blog! This is the fun part for most people.
The blog setup process is pretty similar on all hosting companies. We will explain how to do it on GoDaddy hosting. If you choose another hosting company, it will be very similar or may vary slightly.
Creating a Blog
- Once you have set up your hosting, you will be given access to the hosting panel. The domain name is set up with it if you purchased both from the same provider. You may need to “point” your domain to your hosting site if you bought from different providers. This is fairly easy to do and your domain registrar can help you do it if you get lost. Make sure you become familiar with your cpanel or management panel while setting up your hosting.
- Once your domain is points correctly and you have access to your panel, you scroll down and will see WP or the WordPress logo. This is sometimes found in a “Install” or “blog” section of your management panel. Click on the “Install WordPress” option and follow whatever the screen says. Some will guide you to name your blog and set up your name while others might have you choose a theme right out of the gate and do the username for you.
- You will usually get a notice on the screen when your installation of wordpress is complete! Congrats! You did it! Word press is installed and now is the time to customize all of your options. You can choose different wordpress themes or leave it like is. We recommend poking around and getting familiar with all of the controls in the site Dashboard and settings before posting too many things. If you do post a lot and change your mind, you can generally easily change your themes with little to no affect on the content within your blog. Logging in as an admin on your blog is usually done by using this: yourwebsitename.com/wp-admin. Sometimes if you set it up wrong, you may end up with a directory at the end and have to login like this: yourwebsitename.com/wp/wp-admin (not advised).
Conrats! You are ready to start blogging! Think long term for your blog and you may be very happy with the results.
All the decisions you make regarding your blog can impact your blog in unseen ways.
Here are some great tips to remember:
- Choose a niche you are passionate about and one that is in demand. Know your competition and know what they are doing and then do what they do tenfold. Make your blog unique. Stand out. Don’t be afraid to get creative.
- Blogging should not scare you. You will eventually be riding your blog like you ride your bike. Remember it takes practice and you just need time to learn the ins and outs of the process. We hope our guide helps you a little.
- Be Patient. Blogs don’t just boom overnight. Many successful bloggers have years in. There is no way around this fact. Consistently post and keep going. Remember all good things come to those who wait. In this case…while you are waiting….add some great content to your site.
- Stay away from free. Free is tempting but you want to own the “energy” that grows from your efforst and the only way you can do that is by owning your own domain and blog.
- Share. If you find something that is awesome in the blogging world, share! Bloggers area great group of generally optimistic professionals that love sharing ideas. Don’t be afraid to ask for or offer help. It helps this community grow!
The Adored Directory
Leave a Reply